Sunday, May 3, 2015

So Long! Farewell! Auf Wiedersehen! Goodbye!

This past week was the last week of my semester here in Hollywood!  It started off pretty nicely, too!  On Monday morning, I got up a little early so I could do my homework assignment for How Hollywood Works.  I almost finished it, but I had to stop with a tiny bit left so we could go to the Disney lot!  When we got there, it wasn't long before we found our meeting place.  Eventually, we started our tour.  We had a guide take us all around the lot to several buildings.  He was very knowledgeable!  He knew a lot about the history of Disney and the animation process!  It was fascinating to hear how animation worked in the old days.  We learned that Disney teamed up with Xerox to make the first copy machine for the movie "101 Dalmatians"!  That's something I didn't know!  They had some pretty neat buildings on that lot!  We also got to see one of the cameras they used in the production of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"!  The technology they used back then was crazy!  Our group got a picture around the "Partners" statue, which was in front of one of the buildings.  I hope we get that picture e-mailed to us soon!  In that same area, there were handprints from a bunch of celebrities who have been designated "Disney Legends".  After we saw several of the animation buildings, he took us to a different area of the lot with sound stages.  Sound Stage 2 is apparently the biggest one in southern California, and it's called the Julie Andrews Sound Stage!  They filmed "Mary Poppins" and "The Princess Diaries" there, so that makes enough sense.  Sound Stage 1 is called the Annette Funicello Sound Stage, and I think he said they filmed "The Mickey Mouse Club" there.  He concluded the tour at a place where we could see the back side of the mountain that the Hollywood sign is on.  It was an amazing tour, and the guy was great!  After that was over, we went to the gift shop nearby.  Some people bought stuff, but I didn't get anything.  When we were done, we went back to the apartment for a short time.  We had plenty of time to get back to the UTLA center for our free lunch, but we didn't waste a whole lot at the apartment!  When I got to the UTLA center, I finished my assignment and then chilled for a while.  The pizza arrived a little later than we expected it to, but I was just glad to have it!  How Hollywood Works normally starts at 2:00, but Phil let us eat pizza and hang out until 2:30.  The main reason for that is that he wanted us to complete our course evaluations by 2:30.  I did mine near the end of that window of time.  At 2:30, we began our last class.  The whole time, Phil talked to us about living and working in Hollywood.  He gave us lots of good advice on how to find jobs and where the cheapest apartments and houses are.  He also spent a huge chunk of time talking to us about tax deductions and write-offs.  Around 4:30 or so, we went back out to eat cake and celebrate the April birthdays.  He was going to save it until after class, but we insisted on taking a break!  He didn't say a whole lot after our break, but I enjoyed the class period.  It was particularly nice for the people who are staying in L.A. or are coming back soon.  After the class ended, I got one last meal from the deli inside that building.  I had many lunches there on the Mondays throughout the semester, but I couldn't have lunch that Monday because of the free pizza.  After dinner, I returned to the apartment.  I relaxed for a while, and I did laundry a little later.  Eventually, I put some finishing touches on my paper for Development.  I might have worked on my New Media paper too.  On Tuesday, I started my day at Glassman Media.  I had to make some more calls to random companies, but I guess it gave me some good experience.  Now I'm a little more comfortable having phone conversations with people I don't know!  Overall, I got to do more of the fun stuff I did earlier in the semester.  I'm really glad I got an internship there!  After I was done there, I went back to my apartment.  I relaxed for a while, and I think I did some work.  I didn't eat dinner because I had more free pizza coming!  Our Development professor had to cancel one class just after spring break, so she scheduled a makeup class for Tuesday night.  I got there just before 7:00 and got some free pizza!  We started late because a lot of people were just coming back from their internships.  It was a cool class!  We had a bunch of desks arranged in a square in the middle of the room, and we had a "roundtable discussion" (obviously, it wasn't literally a round table).  Our professor wanted to give us advice about our careers and our lives in Hollywood.  She went around the square and answered questions from everyone.  She's been working in the industry forever, so she had a lot of great advice!  It was very nice and laid back.  After that class was over, I went back to my apartment.  I think I did some work on my New Media paper.  I wanted to finish it by Tuesday night so I wouldn't have to work on it Wednesday, but that didn't happen.  On Wednesday, I returned to Glassman for my last day there.  I ended up doing the same stuff I did on Tuesday.  Because it was my last day, my supervisor bought me lunch at the food truck outside the building!  That was really nice of her!  After lunch, I spent a good amount of time finishing my paper.  She's very understanding, and she didn't mind me doing that at all.  For the last part of the day, I sat with her at the front desk and talked about my experience.  I enjoyed my semester interning there!  She gave me some copies of a nice letter she wrote about me, and she gave it to Phil and the guy who runs the internship course!  Just before I left there, I talked to Andrew Glassman and thanked him for having me as an intern.  I'm going to be doing some work for him over the summer, and I'm excited for that!  (The work will all be over e-mail.)  After I was done there, I went back to my apartment to prepare for my presentation in New Media.  I made a PowerPoint and put some finishing touches on my paper.  I sent both of those documents in and then went back over to the UTLA center.  The last New Media class dragged on a really long time because so many people saved their presentations for the last week!  The class is supposed to meet from 7:00-10:00, but it lasted an extra 35-40 minutes.  I presented near the end, and I made sure to speed through it.  He encouraged the people later in the class period to go fast, and I didn't leave anything important out, so it's all good.  Because I presented a transmedia campaign to promote "The Peanuts Movie", I brought in some peanuts in little plastic bags.  People really appreciated that!  There were apparently some starving people in there, and I was their hero!  After the last presentation, I headed back to the apartment.  I didn't have any big assignments to work on (finally!), so I relaxed.  On Thursday, I headed out to Karga Seven.  They had me work on final edit reports the whole day.  My supervisor told me to work on one I had already done, but I didn't realize it for a while.  When you're constantly watching clips of tornadoes, it can be pretty hard to remember what you have and haven't seen!  I told her I had already started it, and another one of the postproduction people said it was completely done.  She had me start on another one, and I got a huge portion of that done by the end of the day.  After I left there, the L.A. transportation system irritated me one last time (or so I hope)!  Normally, I take a bus that leaves Hollywood & Vine around 5:47.  I scheduled an appointment for 6:30 with the internship guy to talk about my résumé and cover letter.  I figured that would be perfect - I would actually be there early!  Boy, was I mistaken!  The 5:47 bus decided not to show up!  The next bus, which normally gets there around 6:26, arrived about 10 minutes late!  I was going to be really late, and I was afraid he would be gone by the time I got there!  I got off the bus shortly before 7:00 and rushed into the UTLA center.  Thankfully, he was still there!  He was just about to leave when I showed up!  I printed off my résumé and cover letter, and he gave me some good tips.  I never really know how to make those, but now I have a better idea.  After I was done there, I went back to the apartment.  I ate dinner and chilled for a while, and then I decided to go out to the hot tub.  What I didn't know was that there was a group of UTLA students there!  It was nice getting to hang out with them there!  I'm glad I stumbled upon that little party!  On Friday, I went back to Karga Seven for my last day there.  I began the day by finishing the major parts of the final edit report.  My supervisor was going back and forth a lot, and I couldn't find her for a while.  I decided to finish my last weekly assignment in New Media.  In the afternoon, she and a bunch of other people took me out to lunch!  She appreciated all I did, and she wanted to treat me!  I got a lot of free meals that week!  We went to a place that had pretty good burgers.  After we got back, I worked on a few smaller parts of the report.  Just after 5:00, I stopped working and took pictures with/of a lot of the people there.  It was fun working with them!  After that, I had to get out the door and find my bus stop.  We had our Goodbye Dinner on Friday night, and I figured out that it was easier to get to the restaurant from Karga Seven.  When I got on the bus, it was super crowded!  34 years later, Weird Al's song "Another One Rides the Bus" still makes complete sense!  I just had to hold onto a rail for a while.  At the first several stops after the one where I got on, big groups of people joined the madness!  It was rough standing up on the bus, but people gradually started getting off.  I managed to find a seat before too long.  As it continued going through downtown, more people got off.  By the time it got to the more scenic locations, the bus wasn't crowded at all.  It was kind of a long ride, but I was excited for the dinner!  When I got to The Grove, I walked around for a while.  I had never known about it before.  It's a pretty cool place with a bunch of restaurants and stores and whatnot.  I found Maggiano's and then made my way up to the ballroom we had reserved!  It was nice and fancy!  There weren't too many people there when I arrived, so I chilled for a while.  They brought out some appetizers later, so I naturally gravitated towards the food.  I stayed out on the balcony for a good time, and more people showed up.  At around 8:00 (1 hour after the event officially started), they brought out the salads and bread.  After that, they started bringing out the main courses!  There was all kinds of good stuff to eat!  I had some chicken piccata, some salmon, and a little bit of pasta.  There were a couple different kinds of pasta with meatballs.  Later on, they brought out dessert.  Again, there were so many delicious things to choose from!  I had some tiramisu (that's what I think it was) and a chocolate bonbon thingy.  At around 9:00, Phil got our attention.  Most of the professors got up and gave speeches encouraging us and praising us for our work.  The guy in charge of the internship course also read off some of our accomplishments and summer positions.  At the end, Phil gave an emotional speech similar to the ones the professors gave earlier.  Apparently, the UTLA program is celebrating its 10th anniversary this semester!  We took some group pictures, and then we continued to mingle.  I got pictures with some of the professors and staff members I hadn't taken pictures with earlier.  I hung out for a while, and then I got a ride home.  A bunch of people partied afterwards, but I just wanted to relax and have some time to myself.  I would tell you what I did on Saturday, but I want to end off with the high note of the Goodbye Dinner.  Nothing bad happened - I just want to save it for the next big post.  Tomorrow, I'll post some pictures from the Disney lot!  I hope I'll get some more pictures e-mailed to me soon!


  1. sounds like you my friend have had lots of good things happen.

  2. What amazing thoughts you provided here!! I heard a lot about the Hollywood film festival but don’t get a chance to visit there and watch out live shows. You know dear last time I got passes of Hollywood venues but due to some reasons I missed that fest. This time I really want to visit there with my friends.