Monday, March 23, 2015

A Spring Break to Remember

My week of Spring Break went pretty well!  I spent most of my time Tuesday through Thursday sleeping in and relaxing.  It's always nice to catch up on sleep when possible, and I enjoy being able to sit around, watch game shows, play on my phone, etc.  Quite a few people traveled and had grand adventures over the break, but I was content just lazing around and enjoying my free time at the apartment.  On Tuesday, I did a bunch of laundry and went over to the north clubhouse around 5:00.  They were having a St. Patrick's Day party, and there was some free food there.  I had corned beef, cabbage, and other fixin's for dinner.  A free meal will always guarantee my attendance!  On Wednesday, I went over to the building where the UTLA center and Glassman Media are.  I had scheduled an advisory meeting at the UTLA center, so I went there and did that.  Just before the meeting, my supervisor at Glassman called me and asked me if I could come up to the office once I was done.  I went up there after the meeting so I could sign some forms.  The week before, she told me that they would be preparing for a big presentation over the weekend of the 21st and 22nd.  She said they would pay me if I worked that weekend, so I told her I would be happy to do it.  I signed a confidentiality agreement and filled out some information so they could pay me.  Before I left, I also rented E.T. on DVD from the UTLA center.  I relaxed for a while after that.  Later that night, I watched E.T. for the first time in several years.  It's such an excellent movie!  It's actually ranked #24 on the AFI's list of Top 100 Movies.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it made me sad when I remembered that Universal Studios Hollywood got rid of the E.T. ride.  They still have it at the park in Orlando, however.  On Thursday, I returned to the UTLA center and Glassman.  We're only allowed to rent the AFI Top 100 Movies for a day at a time, so I had to return E.T.  I had to go back to Glassman to sign a few more forms.  I spent the rest of the day chilling.  I know I went to the pool and the hot tub either on Wednesday or Thursday.  On Friday, I got up relatively early and went to Universal Studios once again.  Since I got a season pass for the price of a 1-day pass, I figured I'd take advantage of it!  The lines were really short, and the Jurassic Park water ride was open!  I was very excited when I saw that - it was closed for renovations when I went the previous Saturday!  I immediately rushed to get on the Jurassic Park ride.  I wanted to get a locker to hold my stuff, but the lockers at Jurassic Park cost $5.  That's incredibly stupid because the lockers at the Mummy ride are free!  The Mummy ride is close to Jurassic Park, so I walked over there and put my stuff in a free locker.  Then I went on Jurassic Park twice in a row.  I walked on both times - I'm a big fan of single rider lines!  (However, the regular lines were also extremely short.)  I didn't get too wet the first time, but I got soaked on the second trip!  From there, I immediately went over to the Mummy ride.  I went on that one twice in a row as well.  I hadn't seen the single rider line for the Mummy when I went on Saturday, so I thought it didn't have one.  I eventually discovered it when I saw a little girl enter it!  It was early enough in the day that the regular line was still short, but single rider lines always get you a seat more quickly!  Once I had ridden it twice, I retrieved my stuff from my locker and did some other things.  After I had lunch, I saw the "Special Effects Stage" show.  It was neat and informative!  I saw all of the shows once, and I did most of the rides at least twice.  By my count, I rode on the Mummy seven times!  I only did Shrek 4D once, but I think I did all the other rides (including the studio tour) twice.  It was a fun, fast-paced day at the park!  In the afternoon, I left the park and walked around CityWalk for a while.  I went back to the magnet store and bought some more souvenirs.  Later on, I took the tram away from CityWalk and caught a bus to the McDonald's a mile and a half down the road.  I decided to take advantage of the Filet O' Fish Fridays at McDonald's!  My Filet O' Fish meal cost less than $5!  After that, I headed back to the subway station.  UTLA offered us free tickets to Laugh Factory shows, and I signed up for the one on Friday night.  It started at 8:00, but they wanted us to be there by 7:30.  After taking the subway and a bus, I arrived at the Laugh Factory.  They have a 2-drink minimum, so UTLA paid for our tickets and 2 non-alcoholic drink tickets.  Most of the other UTLA students are of legal drinking age, so they were not too thrilled that they had to down 2 non-alcoholic drinks.  I, for one, was happy for the free beverages!  All the comedians at the Laugh Factory were pretty funny, and it was a great show!  After the show, I wanted to get a ride back to the apartment rather than taking public transportation.  A girl offered to take me home, but she invited me to go out with her and some other UTLA people.  They were planning on going to a pub I had been to before.  I obviously wasn't going to drink with them, but I went along for fun.  Sadly, the place they had in mind is 21 and up after 10:00 p.m.  They took me to another place that didn't exclude underage people.  It was a nice little karaoke bar and restaurant.  I had fun there!  It was cool seeing other people get up and sing some karaoke songs!  The environment of the place was really nice.  I ordered some churros, and a few people in our group started looking at the book of karaoke songs.  They pondered getting up there and singing some karaoke, so I thought about it too.  One guy in the group went up and sang a Brooks & Dunn song.  When I got my hands on the book, I saw that they had the "Cheers" theme song!  I couldn't resist!  I got up there and sang it, and I got some applause afterwards!  (Most of it came from my group, I'm sure.)  They all said I did well!  Not long after that, I got a ride back to the apartments.  I want to go back to that place sometime!  There could be more good karaoke songs for me to sing!  Over the weekend, I did PA work for that presentation Glassman was preparing.  Saturday and Sunday were both long days!  I worked from 10:00 - 8:30 or so on Saturday, and I worked from 10:00 - 8:00 on Sunday.  I made some good money, and it was so much fun!  I wish I could tell you guys more about what I did, but I have to be very confidential.  After I got off Sunday night, I treated myself to some Bob's Big Boy and finished my homework.  Monday marked my return to classes and the end of Spring Break.  In my Development class, we talked about a script that we had to read over the break.  We learned how to give notes to screenwriters, and we have to read another script and type up some notes.  Thankfully, it's due in 2 weeks because next week's class is canceled.  We started off How Hollywood Works by having some delicious cake to celebrate the March birthdays!  Then we had our usual weekly discussions and talked about movie business.  We finished class by hearing another pitch and learning the information behind the script.  Spring Break was refreshing, and I'm ready to get back to work and make the most of my time left here!  It's scary how little time we have left!

No comments:

Post a Comment