Monday, March 2, 2015

The Good News and the Bad News

The last several days have brought a roller coaster of highs and lows.  On Thursday, I had to get myself to Karga Seven.  Normally I get rides on Thursdays, but the girl who gives me a ride was going to a special event for the first half of the day.  After I got there, I went up to my usual area of postproduction.  I forget exactly how it went, but I ended up doing character bios for most of the day.  I had to reformat some old ones, and then I made some new ones.  I did something else at the very beginning, but it wasn't for very long.  The good news came in the afternoon shortly after lunch.  I got a call from my other internship, and they made me a really fantastic offer!  I can't say much more, but I'm excited!  When the day was done, I got a ride back home because the girl got back from her event in the afternoon.  After I ate some dinner, I went on over to the Line Production class.  It was pretty cool, as always.  We watched a scene from the movie "Kingsman:  The Secret Service", and it was great!  I've heard that movie is pretty good, so I might go see it soon!  When I got back from that class, I did a few quick things and then watched the movie "Adaptation".  It was one of the movies we had to watch for my Development class this week, and it was deep!  There were elements of comedy and drama, and the plot is complex.  It definitely made me think, and I'd probably figure out more if I watched it again!  In any case, Nicolas Cage plays twins in the movie - that in itself is wonderful!  I went to bed soon after I finished it.  On Friday, I got myself out to Karga Seven again.  I've always had to do that on Fridays, so that's nothing new.  I started out doing more character bios, but I ended up doing transcription for most of my time there.  Transcribing can be an arduous process!  I was relieved when 2:00 came around!  After I finished things up there, I caught the subway back to Hollywood & Vine.  Since I had some time between my arrival and the next bus headed my way, I stopped at Starbucks.  I felt like getting something, so I tried a chocolate chip cookie.  I was not impressed - I'd think Starbucks would have decent munchies!  I still made sure to walk to the bus stop plenty early, and it wasn't a horrible mess this time!  The bus was 4 or 5 minutes late, but I'm just grateful that it showed up!  Soon after I got back to the apartment, I called my mom to share my good news.  We talked about that and other fun stuff for a while, but then she had to deliver some crushing news.  My good friend, Brent Getz, passed away late last week.  I knew Brent because one of my aunts knew him in high school.  They became Facebook friends, and I enjoyed reading their banter about cats vs. dogs and other topics!  My other aunt became friends with him, and then I joined in on the party!  Brent, my aunts, and I formed a "Facebook Foursome" that was so much fun!  I actually got the chance to meet him in person when we invited him to a cookout at one of my aunts' houses.  He was great to talk to and hang out with in person!  He was an all-around wonderful guy, and his sudden passing was devastating.  After I finished talking to my mom, I called my aunt and then just lazed around for a while.  I had to sit down and think about what I just learned.  However, it soon became time to get some Little Caesar's bacon-wrapped crust pizzas!  I really looked forward to trying it out, and I actually organized a little "party" in my apartment for other people who wanted some!  It was a fun time, and it was a nice way to honor Brent.  He LOVED bacon, and I know he would have been all over that pizza!  It's a deep-dish pizza with bacon-wrapped crust and topped with bacon and pepperoni, and it's delicious!  After all the guests left, I got back to my usual activity.  I watched some TV and used my computer.  On Facebook, there was definitely a lot of mourning going on!  All of us who were friends with Brent posted about our memories of him.  We all supported each other, and we agreed that his presence will be missed.  My roommates got back from their night out, and then I went to bed.  Saturday was a nice day of sleeping in.  After I got up, I went to IHOP with my roommates and another friend.  I had never been to IHOP before, and my first trip was on National Pancake Day!  Sadly, the chain is doing their special National Pancake Day event on Tuesday, but the holiday is the same regardless!  I got a Pick-a-Pancake combo with the Chocolate Chocolate Chip pancakes (yes, there are 2 "chocolate's" in the name)!  They were tasty!  After we got home from that, I chilled for a while.  In the afternoon, I got around to writing most of my paper for How Hollywood Works.  Then I went to Target with one of my roommates.  I bought more than I had originally expected, but I was proud of myself for remembering a ton of things I needed!  I hadn't really shopped for myself before this semester!  I ate a quick dinner after I got back, and then I went down to the hot tub.  It was partly to test out the flip-flops I bought at Target, but hot tub trips are always fun!  I had originally planned to watch another movie on Saturday night, but it was too late to watch it once I got back.  I did, however, finish that paper!  Not long after I got that done, one roommate left for another night out with friends.  I got in bed after that.  On Sunday, I got up when I normally do and had some of the continental breakfast.  When I was waiting for my friend to pick me up and give me a ride to church, I got a text from him saying that he wouldn't be able to make it.  I walked back to my apartment, watched an East White Oak sermon online, and listened to some worship songs.  After my "mini church service", I made lunch.  I knew that I would be meeting with a group to prepare for a presentation on Monday, but I didn't know exactly when it would be.  When we decided on a time in the evening, I watched my other movie.  It was "Walk the Line".  It's undoubtedly a high-quality film, but I'm not too crazy about the ending.  It's based on real life, and Johnny Cash apparently had a very happy marriage to June Carter, so I guess I shouldn't judge.  After I watched the movie and ate dinner, I went over to the meeting.  It didn't last too long!  It sounds like we know what we want to do for the presentation!  Following the meeting, I did a random mix of important and semi-important things.  Tomorrow will start off another week with some classes.  Below is a picture taken at the cookout where I met Brent Getz.  This post is dedicated in his memory.


1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Ryan. I enjoy your missives about your adventures. I will be watching for news about the offer you mentioned. This was a beautiful tribute to Brent. It is difficult to loose someone but loosing them suddenly is a bad shock. I never met him in person but his passing leaves an empty spot in my cyber space.

    ReplyDelete