Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Typin' the Time Away

The past few days have been busy, but I'm still on top of everything.  Friday was a very hectic day for sure.  Very late on Thursday night (I was about to head to bed), I got an e-mail from my supervisor at Karga Seven.  He told me he wanted me to go out on a shoot.  We had been discussing possible times for me to go on a shoot, and I told him I could do it Friday because I don't usually have anything in my schedule on Friday nights.  However, he didn't respond to me until Thursday night.  He said he tried to send me a call sheet around 9:00, but it didn't go through at all.  His e-mail was acting up, so he couldn't get it to me.  He told me that call time was at 7:30 in the morning!  Lovely!  I was going to have to wake up very bright and early to make it there by 7:30!  I rose at 5:15 the next morning and got ready to catch the 5:54 bus.  All went well, and I arrived at Hollywood & Vine with plenty of time to relax before I needed to catch the subway.  I stopped at Starbucks and got some caffeine in me.  Later, I went down and got on the subway that dropped me off just after 7:00.  I walked from the subway station to Karga Seven, and then I waited a while.  My supervisor met me shortly after 7:30, and I helped him with a few random tasks.  It was all stuff we needed to do before going on location.  The first few scenes we filmed were actually in the Karga Seven offices, so I hung around there.  A lady had me tape up some receipts, and I was glad to have something to do.  Most of the time, however, I was just sitting and listening.  We were filming an episode of the Discovery Channel show "Cry Wolfe".  It's about a private investigator named Brian Wolfe, and it follows his investigations.  In between takes, I went out and offered everybody water, as they told me to do.  Wolfe wanted a water bottle, so I handed him one.  In a small way, I got to interact with the host!  Cool!  After we filmed a scene or two there, we went out to a pawn shop in a seedy-looking part of L.A.  That's where they needed to film the next scenes.  However, they didn't need me!  They said they only needed a few people for this portion, so they had me sit in one of the vans and watch over some expensive equipment.  I just turned on the SiriusXM satellite radio and chilled!  It seemed like we were there a pretty long time (because I was doing nothing), but eventually we headed out to a person's house.  Once we got there, we sat down for lunch.  While I was still at the Karga Seven offices in the morning, they had me pick out my lunch choice from two different restaurants.  The second restaurant (which was supposedly our backup place) was a Mexican place.  It seemed like everybody was hoping we would have that!  We ended up having it, too!  It was well needed!  After we ate, I ended up sitting around for quite a while.  They were filming some scenes in Wolfe's car, so those of us stuck at the house had little to do.  When they were almost done filming those scenes, they came up to me and told me to get everyone's Starbucks order.  I was going to be part of a big Starbucks run!  I wrote down what everyone wanted, and we had 16 orders in total.  Once I had those all down, I went to Starbucks with another guy.  Somehow, we managed to carefully transport all 16 beverages back to the house!  We gave the available people their orders, but some were still out filming a scene.  Eventually, everybody got what they wanted.  When we were driving back from Starbucks, I noticed that I didn't have my phone in my pocket.  I was almost certain I took it with me, so I was afraid I accidentally left it on the counter when I was helping to carry all the drinks.  We called Starbucks soon after we got back, but they said they hadn't found any cell phones.  One lady said she saw a phone lying on a desk in the house, and she didn't know whose it was.  I was relieved!  I stayed out there for a good period of time while they finished filming the scenes inside the house.  After it was all clear, I went back inside the house and found my phone!  They wanted to wait until it was fairly dark outside to film one final scene, so we waited for a while.  When it got dark, they filmed the scene quickly.  We were pretty much done!  I helped out a bunch with the process of cleaning up and taking stuff back to the vans.  I knew I needed to go back to the office so I could get my computer (which I left there in the morning), but I thought I would take myself back home and treat myself to the Dog Haus.  However, everyone on the crew decided it would be fun to walk to a nearby pub called the Village Tavern.  They had food there, so that's where I had my dinner.  The show's director got a tab going and paid for all of us!  That was really nice of him!  It was well past 8:00 at night when we left, so my supervisor told me he would give me a ride home.  We went back to the office first so I could get my computer, and he also had a few things to do.  After that, we headed home and he dropped me off!  He lives in Burbank, so it wasn't a big deal, but it was still kind of him!  When I got back to the room, one of my roommates had some friends over.  They were about to head out to the hot tub, so I joined them.  We hung out at the hot tub and then swam in the pool to cool off.  I think they went out soon after that, and I just relaxed.  Before I went to bed, I set an alarm for 9:00 because I was getting a package redelivered the next morning.  My mom scheduled it, but she didn't know exactly when it would be.  My alarm went off at 9:00, and I know I got up and turned it off, but I sadly fell asleep again.  I wasn't quite awake enough when I turned it off.  Just after 10:30, I regained consciousness because I heard one of my roommates talking to a lady at the door.  I darted out of my room and greeted her.  He had signed for the package, and she was telling him that I could have given her permission to sign for it and leave it at the clubhouse.  In any case, I had my package!  I was thankful that he was up and about - he was the only other guy in the apartment!  I opened up my package, and it contained everything I was expecting plus some Crispy M&M's and a Gonzo stuffed animal!  Thanks, Mom!  I watched some TV and made lunch soon afterwards.  After lunch, it was time to start on my papers due on Monday.  I intended to start writing them during the week, but other things came up.  I began with my coverage paper that had a 1500 word minimum.  We had to pick something that hasn't been made into a movie and write coverage on it (a synopsis, comments on its story structure and its potential as a movie, etc.).  It could be a book, an article, a video game, or anything else.  I chose Jim Gaffigan's book "Dad is Fat".  It won't be super easy to envision a movie for it, but it's such a funny book!  Jim Gaffigan is my favorite comedian, and his writing is hilarious!  I say it "won't be super easy to envision a movie" because there will be more in-depth projects based on whatever we chose for this one.  I started out writing pretty well, but I got some writer's block near the end.  I just couldn't figure out how to word certain sentences.  By the end of the night, I got through the end of the synopsis section, and I had written almost 1100 words.  That's not a bad day's work!  I also had some dinner at the Dog Haus.  It had been way too long since the last time I had eaten there!  After I finished my work for the night, I relaxed for a little bit.  Since the guy who usually takes me to church was unsure if he could take me this week, I contacted a girl in the UTLA program who goes to a different church.  In the morning, I talked to the guy, but he said he couldn't go.  I met the girl at about 10:30, and we took off to the Los Angeles campus of Saddleback Church!  The main church is the one Rick Warren preaches at, but he was actually in Los Angeles this weekend!  Saddleback is celebrating its 35th anniversary soon, so he's going on a tour of all the locations.  He went up and made a couple announcements after the worship time, and we presented him with his own little Walk of Fame star!  The worship was very loud and high-energy.  I'm used to more calm worship, but it was neat!  After Rick made his announcements, we watched a video of the 9:00 sermon.  We were at the 11:00 service, so they just played a video of the sermon from the first service!  I thought that was kind of funny, but I hope we normally get to hear from a pastor who's actually there.  Ironically, the sermon was about not being too busy.  I was certainly busy this weekend!  After church let out, we went home.  I made some lunch and then got back to my paper.  I had some more writer's block in the comments section, but I pushed through it.  I had some dinner and then finished it off.  After that, I got working on my paper for How Hollywood Works.  That paper had to be 900-1100 words.  It was pretty easy (as all papers in that class are), and I cranked it out in practically no time!  (It took much shorter than my coverage paper did!)  Once I was done with that, I looked over both papers and made some final touches.  I sent them both off just before 11:00.  In that weekend, I had written 2 papers that were almost 2600 words combined!  The total minimum was 2400 words, anyway!  I spent a lot of that weekend typing!  I went to bed soon after that.  On Monday, my Development class started out with discussions about various new movies.  A guest speaker showed up, and we talked to her for a while.  Class let out after she was finished, so I ate lunch and took care of a few other things.  In my How Hollywood Works class, we began with our usual discussions.  We also had a guest speaker in that class, and she showed up earlier than the professor had expected.  She talked to us for a while, and then we continued our weekly discussions.  We ended class by talking about the story behind one of the movie scripts some people read.  It was interesting!  After returning from class, I went on a grocery shopping trip with one of my roommates.  I made myself dinner after we got back, and then I watched "Psycho" for the first time.  It's pretty creepy, and it's an excellent movie!  Since then, I've just been chilling.  On Tuesday, I'll return to the office for a regular day at Karga Seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment