Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Cooling Down

The weekend and the first few days of this week were pretty good.  I kicked off the weekend by sleeping in on Saturday, as is usual.  When I finally got out of bed, I relaxed and eventually ate lunch.  After lunch, I started with my homework.  We had internship agreements due on Monday, and those required a short essay describing the internship.  Unfortunately, we had to do that for all internships even if we're only using one to count for our required hours.  I wrote up both of those short essays and then took a little break.  Since it was Saturday of the Oscars weekend, I thought I would go down to Bob's Big Boy and see if I could spot any celebrities.  I always go celebrity spotting when I visit Bob's Big Boy, but I was intentional about the timing.  I walked down there and ordered some takeout, but there were no celebs to be found.  Then I walked back home and enjoyed my delicious Super Big Boy and fries.  They have some seriously tasty food there!  After I was finished, I eventually got on to more homework.  I relaxed for a while, and one of my roommates had friends over, so it took a good amount of time to get back to it.  One of my homework assignments was to read a script and then write a logline for it.  I didn't realize they were feature-length movie scripts!  I looked at all their lengths and then selected #2, which was 148 pages.  It wasn't the shortest one, but it definitely wasn't the longest!  I got the first 40 pages or so read before I got ready for bed.  On Sunday morning, I had some of the continental breakfast and then went back out to Calvary Bible Church.  That church is kind of interesting - I've been going there 4 weeks, and we've had 4 different pastors!  I've liked them all, though - they've all had good messages!  Soon after I got out of church, I went home and made some lunch.  I decided that I wanted to go to the Oscar party some other UTLA people were throwing, so I went to the convenience store at the south clubhouse to pick up some food.  I bought a few other things as well.  By the time I got back, the party was less than an hour away!  My, how time flies when you need it the most!  I read as much of that script as I could and then headed off to the party.  It was a good time!  We had a little potluck with several different items, and the hosts of the party made spaghetti and meatballs!  It was great stuff!  The first hour and a half or so was just red carpet coverage.  I thought the Oscars ceremony was supposed to start at 4:00 Pacific time, but the actually ceremony started much later.  As I said, I had never actually watched it before.  It was cool, but it would have been more enjoyable if people hadn't been so noisy!  I didn't see most of the Oscar-nominated movies, so I didn't really care about too many of the awards.  It was just fun being at the party and watching the show!  There were some amazing parts of the ceremony, too - who knew Lady Gaga could actually sing?  I can't believe she waited all this time to show her true singing talent!  It got even better when Julie Andrews took the stage!  During the commercial breaks and other downtimes, I read some more of the movie script.  It took a really long time, but eventually the ceremony ended with the Best Picture award.  A lot of people at the party were upset that "Birdman" won.  They wanted the winner to be "Boyhood".  I would like to see a few of the nominees, and "Boyhood" was one of them.  After the party was over, I went back to the apartment and finished reading the movie script.  I liked the story, but I felt it was disorganized and didn't flow very well.  I wrote my logline, and then I reviewed the material I'll be using for a project in a different class.  After that, it was time for bed.  Monday was another typical day of classes.  We had some interesting discussions in the first class.  For lunch, I got something from the food truck in front of the UTLA center.  For the second class, we started out with our usual discussions and then had a guest speaker.  After he left, we talked about how to make a good pitch for a movie or a show.  We split into groups based on which script we read, and I discovered that I picked the most popular script!  Within our group, we had to decide on an official logline.  By next Monday, we have to have a 3-minute pitch prepared.  After we got out of class, I went back and relaxed a little.  I ate dinner and then did my Monday laundry.  Later on, I went out to the hot tub.  It's been cooling down lately here in L.A.  (I couldn't think of a very clever title, so that's why I settled on "Cooling Down".)  A cool night makes for a nice hot tub experience!  It was more empty than it usually is, so I got a lot of space to myself!  The water was really hot, so I got out after a brief period.  By the way, "cooling down" means temperatures in the 60s.  Sorry, Illinois folk!  After that, the night was just about over.  Tuesday was another day at Karga Seven.  I actually started the day in development as opposed to postproduction, and it was cool!  I got to do research for some upcoming shows and specials!  After that was done, however, I went back up to postproduction.  Transcribing is not the most fun, but somebody's gotta do it!  When I got back to the apartment, I made myself some dinner and chilled.  At 7:10, I got an e-mail reminding me that an event beginning at 7:00 was starting "in a few minutes".  That was annoying!  If they weren't going to send out the reminder earlier in the day, they at least could have sent it before the event started!  I completely dropped the ball on that one because I overlooked the original e-mail.  D'oh!  The original one came on Sunday, so I probably just didn't pay attention to it at all.  Who gets an important e-mail on Sunday, anyway?  That was slightly annoying, but I had some more time to hang out at home.  A couple of my roommates attended the event, and they said it was neat.  It was a panel of UT alumni with jobs in Hollywood.  They talked about how they got their jobs, tips for living in L.A., etc.  I have all their e-mail addresses now, so I can still contact them.  I did some homework later on in the night, and then I went to bed.  Today was another fun day at Glassman Media!  I know I definitely haven't mentioned this (sarcasm - I mention it every week), but I love it there!  I'm considering picking up another day there.  I'm still holding out for GSN for a little while longer, but I'm just not sure about that.  After my internship, I went home and had a little dinner.  Then I went off to my class tonight.  It was all interesting stuff!  They had a whole bunch of cake and other food left over from the alumni event, so I enjoyed some of that!  Since then, I've just been relaxing.  Tomorrow is another day at Karga Seven, and I might be going to that class I'm auditing.

No comments:

Post a Comment