Thursday, January 15, 2015

A Party Fit for a King

Today was quite a spectacular day all the way around!  I rose early in the morning so I could get ready for my second trip over to Glassman Media.  Once I arrived there, I talked with the lady I had previously communicated with.  She told me the basics of what I would be doing there, and she said I would probably be working there one day a week.  It was nice to hear that I definitely have a position!  After I got back to my apartment, I turned on GSN and watched some classic game shows.  I hardly ever watch GSN when the older shows are on in the morning, but I had the chance to today!  I saw part of an episode of Press Your Luck and full episodes of $ale of the Century and $25,000 Pyramid.  I had never seen a full episode of $ale of the Century before today!  After watching those shows and taking care of a few orders of business, I made myself some lunch and then turned back into a couch potato.  I'm so bored with no actual work to do!  I've been watching way too much GSN!  Eventually I got up to turn in some forms to the UTLA Center.  After that, I just turned on some SpongeBob and chilled for a while.  Just before 5:00, the lady from Glassman Media called and told me that I would be working every Wednesday.  My first day is this coming Wednesday!  After 5:00, I started calling around to make sure I had a ride to the gala at the Skirball Center tonight!  All the Hollywood Semester students and a bunch of people from Bradley's college of Communication and Fine Arts were out there to recruit interested high school students.  It was also a good opportunity for current students like me to network!  My Bradley roommate and I left a little late, and we also didn't anticipate the awful traffic and the fact that we were headed to the wrong place.  The first place we ended up was the location of a different event that had already occurred.  Once we found the Skirball Center, we were much later than they wanted us to be.  However, we were there with plenty of time to spare before the big announcement at 8:00.  I had seen in an e-mail a long time ago that there would be a big announcement, and I had no clue what to expect.  Things got a lot more interesting, however, when Larry King walked in the door!  I didn't know why he was there, but I was excited!  Every once in a while, I hovered around where he was.  When he came a little closer to the middle of the room, I stood in line to meet him.  I continued to creepily hover, and eventually I was able to approach him, say hi, and shake his hand!  It was the most shameless thing I've ever done, but I don't regret it a bit!  At 8:00, it was time for the big announcement.  We learned that Charley Steiner, a Bradley alumnus who became a famous sports broadcaster, was being honored.  Bradley's Sports Communication program has been renamed the Charley Steiner School of Sports Communication!  Larry King came up on stage, talked a little about himself, and then explained that he is good friends with Charley.  Larry was pretty funny!  After that, Charley himself came up on stage and told his story.  It was pretty interesting and inspirational!  He talked about how his biggest inspiration was Vin Scully.  He said that when he was about 6 or 7 years old, he decided he wanted to be like Vin Scully, who broadcasted all the Brooklyn Dodgers games.  In 2004, Charley got the opportunity to become the main broadcaster for the L.A. Dodgers.  After he learned that he had achieved his dream, Vin Scully called him on his cell phone to congratulate him and welcome him to the Dodgers organization!  That's incredible!  After all the speakers were finished, we lingered around for a long time.  We all made sure to take home official MLB baseballs signed by Charley Steiner!  He literally signed hundreds of baseballs!  I wondered why Vin Scully wasn't there as well, and I heard that he was sick and couldn't make it.  What a bummer!  It would have been so neat to meet Larry King and Vin Scully in the same night!  He hosted a game show, you know!  Anyway, we went back home after the party had died down.  Tomorrow is the UTLA orientation!  It should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment