Friday, January 30, 2015

Work, Eat, Sleep. Repeat.

The past few days have been fairly normal.  As I said in my last post, I've begun to settle into a routine.  I went to Karga Seven on Tuesday and had a decent day there.  If anything, the unpredictable elements in my life right now are my internships.  I haven't really done the same thing twice!  At Karga Seven on Tuesday, they sent me up to postproduction again.  I sat there for a while as they looked for something for me to do.  Eventually they had me writing character bios for a TV episode.  After about an hour, they took me back down to the main office where I got an assignment that I was about 3/5 of the way through at the end of the day.  They had me transcribe a 50-minute interview!  My job was basically to type up every word a guy said in the video.  That takes a ton of time!  You can't type nearly as fast as people speak, so it requires a lot of pausing and rewinding.  It's pretty nuts!  I'm glad I didn't have to transcribe what the interviewer said!  I worked at it steadily from about 11:00 to 5:00 (with a lunch break in the middle, of course).  At the end, I think I had right around 30 minutes worth transcribed.  Another one of the interns did the rest.  After I got back, I stuck a frozen dinner in the oven and went over to the South Clubhouse to claim the package my mom sent me.  It had my Page-a-day calendar, my flash drives, and some gift cards in it.  Then I ate my dinner and relaxed for a while.  Before long, it was time to head over to the UTLA Center to watch "The Grand Budapest Hotel".  At first I wasn't really sure I wanted to see the movie.  I kind of judged it by its name beforehand, but I decided to look up a review.  The review portrayed it as a pretty funny movie that I would really like.  I had never seen a Wes Anderson movie before this one, but I had heard a lot about his movies.  Overall, I thought it was okay.  There were definitely some funny scenes and elements, but it wasn't particularly engaging to me.  It didn't exactly grip me or cause me to have a laugh attack.  I can see why people like it, but I don't understand why it got so many Oscar nominations.  Anyway, I returned home and just relaxed after it was over.  Yesterday was a really exciting, fun day at Glassman Media!  I can't really tell a lot of details, but I know I want to stay there!  I started out the day making copies and stapling papers.  The next big chunk of time was devoted to helping my supervisor prepare a couple packages for a FedEx shipment.  After lunch, we continued working on that a little, and I did some other random things for her.  I really had some authentic intern work there!  For a while after that, she had me sit back in the postproduction area and observe what they were doing.  Once she was ready to run some errands, she had me check the mail, drop some stuff in the mailbox, and sit at the front desk.  I ended up sitting at the front desk for a long time!  She was very busy, so I had to stay longer than I would have liked.  However, I got to continue helping them out with the development of a show.  I also met Andrew Glassman, the founder of Glassman Media!  When she finally returned to the office and let me go, I didn't have enough time to eat dinner.  I had to rush home, grab some stuff for my New Media and Emerging Entertainment class, and rush back to the same building.  The class was pretty great and interesting!  We talked a bit about our final project, and we got to watch a lot of fun videos too!  As I said before, I think I will really love that class!  Since I hadn't eaten dinner yet, I got home pretty quickly.  For some reason, I was particularly sweaty and hot.  Before long, it got to the point where I wasn't feeling good at all.  I went into the bathroom, and...well, let's just say the toilet got a little taste of what I had for lunch!  I think it was because I was hot and a little exhausted from the combination of exercise and long clothes.  I had also been working most of the day.  I obviously didn't want to eat immediately after that, but I had a little personal pizza later on.  Then it was time to call it a day!  Today I woke up for another day at Karga Seven.  Once I had sat around for a good while, they had me go down to storage and help out there.  I helped a guy sort some t-shirts and sweatshirts and put them into bins.  After that, we brought some food and drinks up to the main office.  I really didn't do much after that.  I ate lunch, and then I went to postproduction and watched some stuff that hasn't aired yet.  That's all they wanted me to do - just watch their shows!  I was okay with that!  That's fun!  However, I felt guilty because some of my fellow interns were actually working.  They were doing character bios and whatnot.  After Karga Seven, I claimed another package on my way back to the apartment.  I had no clue what this one contained.  It held a book I had asked my mom to mail me, but I was surprised it had come so soon.  It also contained my prescription, a chocolate cake, a little stuffed dog, and a big bag of Crispy M&M's!  It was a bunch of early birthday/Valentine's Day presents!  Mom, you're the best!  Once I had opened that, I ate a quick dinner and headed over to the Line Production class tonight.  I'm not enrolled in the class, but I decided I would audit it.  It was pretty interesting, and the professor only kept us for just over an hour!  Then I came back, took care of a few small tasks, and just relaxed.  I'm excited for tomorrow - after my half day at Karga Seven, it's time for the UTLA Bowling Night!  Free bowling, pizza, chips and salsa, and pop are less than 24 hours away!

No comments:

Post a Comment