Monday, February 16, 2015

In the Swing of Things

Over the past several days, I've done some serious work and had incredible fun!  Thursday was just another day working in postproduction at Karga Seven.  I'm still a little annoyed that they've had me work in an area I didn't express interest in, but at least I've had more to do!  I'm always busy working in postproduction.  I spent the whole day working on the final edit report that I started on Tuesday.  Those final edit reports are so monotonous, and they take an unhealthy amount of time to complete!  I was excited to go home at 5:00!  When I got back to the apartment, I ate a quick dinner and prepared for the Line Producing class.  I'm just auditing the class, but I really enjoy it!  We watched a couple videos and then discussed the budgeting and scheduling of films.  After I returned, I sat back and relaxed for a while.  I felt like going to the hot tub (a very common feeling), so I hung out there for a while.  My roommates and friends played video games, so I watched them do that and then went to bed.  Friday was my typical half day at Karga Seven.  I got a ride that took me most of the way to Hollywood and Vine, and I had plenty of time to reload my card and wait for the subway.  I took the subway to the right stop, and I made it from the station to my building in record time!  I'm finally getting into the swing of things!  I have my navigation down!  Once I got started at Karga Seven, it wasn't too long before that final edit report was finished!  It was such a relief to have that done!  After that, I worked on transcribing a different episode of the same show.  I never realized they had so many little details to take care of in postproduction!  I steadily worked until I got off at 2:00.  After I ate lunch, I decided to give the lady at GSN another call.  I called her on Thursday but got nothing back.  I actually managed to talk to her on Friday, and she said they were reviewing a lot of résumés and that they would get back to me next week.  I really, REALLY hope I can get that job!  I'm still praying for a big break here!  Once I finished talking with her, I started my journey home.  I think my walk from work back to the subway station was incredibly fast!  As I said, I know my way around now!  The only problem is that the buses don't come often enough!  It was a considerable wait for the bus after I got off the subway at Hollywood & Vine, but I got home soon enough.  Before I walked back to the apartment, I went to the UTLA center to pick up my free movie tickets!  They told us at the beginning of the semester that they would buy us movie tickets every now and then.  Sure enough, they had free tickets for everyone and plenty of popcorn and soda vouchers!  I picked up some for me and 2 of my roommates.  After doing a little bit of planning back at the apartment, I set off on my early Valentine's Day date with myself!  I kicked it off with a trip to the Dog Haus.  I tell you, I just love that place!  I had their Hangover burger, and it was delicious!  From there, I walked to a nearby bus stop so I could go over to the AMC theater in Burbank.  I was going to see the 6:35 showing of "The SpongeBob Movie:  Sponge Out of Water"!  Something foiled my plan, however - the stupid bus was late!  Arrgh!  It arrived 12 minutes later than it should have!  I got to my stop just a couple minutes before the movie was supposed to start.  I figured I would probably be okay because of the previews and trailers before the movie.  After I got off the bus, I hit another obstacle - I had never been to this theater before, so I needed to find it.  I started off in the wrong direction, but I turned around before too long.  When I found the theater, I realized it was too late for me to make the 6:35 showing.  On top of my tardiness, there was a huge line at the box office!  (Sadly, most of the people were probably there to see "50 Shades of Grey".)  I knew there was a 3D showing at 7:45, so that was my new plan.  When I presented my free ticket, I also had to cough up $6 because it was a night showing and it was 3D.  It would have only been $2 extra for the regular showing, but I didn't really care.  I was so excited to be there and to see another SpongeBob movie!  The AMC theater is in a nice area in Burbank that's more or less a short boardwalk.  The theater itself is so fancy, too - they have all kinds of amazing concessions and a bar!  I need to go there more often!  I settled into the theater plenty early and awaited the masterpiece I was about to see.  I can't describe how much fun I had!  I got pumped up in anticipation of the movie, and it didn't let me down!  That movie was so hilarious!  It referenced the classic show several times, and it had tons of slapstick humor!  I was laughing out loud the whole time!  I felt about half my age as I watched the movie, and it was such an incredible feeling!  When the movie let out, I walked around the boardwalk-type area for a while.  There are some restaurants I definitely want to check out!  I found my bus stop with plenty of time to spare, and I rode it back to around the same stop I got to from the Dog Haus.  Because I walked all the way out there, I had to ride 1 bus to get to the theater but 2 buses to get home.  There was about half an hour in between buses, so I visited a 7-11 and kept myself occupied for that time.  When the time came, I got on my last bus for the day and rode home.  I didn't have a single problem finding the right bus or subway the whole day!  Yay for me!  It was about 11:00 when I got home, but my roommates were out seeing a different movie.  I watched some TV until they came home.  They played some video games, and I went to bed after watching them for a bit.  Saturday was more of a lazy, lonely day for me.  One of my roommates had to wake up early to go to a shoot, and the other 2 slept in way too long.  I wasted away a good portion of the day watching GSN.  In the afternoon, I took a bus to Burbank so I could get my hair cut.  I found a pretty nice, cheap place that gave me a good haircut!  In the time between my haircut and the arrival of the next bus, I visited a cool candy and soda shop in the area!  They had all kinds of candy and about a million different flavors and kinds of soda!  I'll have to go there a few more times!  After I got home, I chilled for a while and made myself dinner.  One of my roommates went on an In-N-Out Burger run, so I got an order of Animal Style fries.  They were okay, but I want to try them when they're fresh!  I did some more sitting around, but I also completed some of a paper for my How Hollywood Works class.  On Sunday morning, I got up and headed to the free continental breakfast.  They had some great stuff from a popular bakery!  I need to do that every week!  Then I got a ride to church, and the service was another great one!  Soon after church, I joined a group that was going out to an Irish pub.  I had a Reuben sandwich that was pretty tasty!  When I got back to the apartment, I procrastinated a little and then watched "Little Miss Sunshine".  We had to watch it as an assignment for my Development of Film & TV class.  It was decent, but not the best movie I've ever seen.  The last thing I had to accomplish was finishing my How Hollywood Works paper.  I got that all done and sent it in!  I had kind of a crazy weekend, but it was a good time!  Monday, of course, will bring classes and some free time.  Now that I'm in the swing of things, my weekdays here should go a lot more smoothly!

No comments:

Post a Comment